1/ Scope of consumer’s protection under “unfair dispositions”
The high court confirmed recently that when a contract is concluded between a professional and non-professional/consumer, the dispositions of the contract which have the object or effect of creating towards the non-professional a significant imbalance concerning its rights and obligations are considered as unfair (art. L. 132-1 French consumer code).
However, this rule does not apply to the contracts concerning the supply of goods or services concluded between commercial companies (ie. 2 professionnals).
Cass. com., 3 déc. 2013, n° 12-26.416, n° 1158 F-D
2/ Bermuda and Jersey has been removed from the 2014 list of the non-cooperative states (tax)
The list of non-cooperative states has been updated for 2014. As announced, Bermuda and Jersey are no longer part of it. Operators located or doing transactions with these states are no longer charged with a more restrictive application of tax provisions.
Decree of 17 January 2014
3/ What 2014 budget laws change for companies?
Budget laws published at the end of 2013 have introduced two significant measures concerning companies:
- The introduction of a new tax on high incomes
- An amendment in the tax allowance mechanism applied to capital gains on the shares sold.
4/ Loss of a current account advance by a partner justifies an individual and personal action for damages
The loss of money put in a current account advance by the creditor of a company subject to insolvency proceedings constitutes a personal damage under which he may exercise an individual action for damages.
Cass. com., 10 déc. 2013, n° 11-22.188, n° 11-22.712, n° 11-25.432, n° 1081 F-P + B
5/ Accounting obligations of micro-enterprise (less than 10 salaries) and small companies (less than 50 salaries)
A future French Government Regulation will decrease the burden of accounting obligations of small companies.
- Will not be required to add an appendix to their annual accounts, which represents a time-saving estimated to a total of 1.1 million hours per year ;
- Will be able to request, when filing their accounts at the Registry of the Commercial Court, that these accounts are not published.
– Small companies will be authorized to establish their accounts (balance sheet, income statement) on a simplified model, which will reduce the burden of establishment and audit of their accounting statements;
The text will apply immediately for the financial year 2013 and filed on or after April 1st, 2014.
Press Release, Council of Ministers, 29th Jan 2014
6/ Cap of solidarity tax on wealth (ISF) by life insurance contracts’ holders taxpayers
In contradiction with the administrative position, French Constitutional Council recently ruled out that life insurance contract’s income would not be taken into account when establishing the ISF.
As a consequence, French administration updated its position and deleted its previous interpretation laid out in § 200 BOI-PAT-ISF-40-60-20130614.
- Taxation on dividends : amendment to the regime after the steria case - February 1, 2016
- Individual taxation and capital gains deriving from the transfer of securities - December 2, 2015
- Claim on french social contributions: consequences of « de ruyter » case - October 28, 2015
- Foreign companies collecting french-source dividends: you may get a tax refund! - September 24, 2015
- Holding : an attractive tax regime - July 15, 2015
- Double tax treaty (DTT) - July 7, 2015
- Impatriates Tax Regime - June 22, 2015
- Tax Free Zones (TFZ) - June 16, 2015
- Video game development tax credit - May 26, 2015
- Fiscal fraud : new online examples of tax schemes - February 19, 2015
- Buying and Selling A Vineyard In France - July 22, 2019
- Setting Up Business in France – TV and Media - June 19, 2019
- Setting Up Business in France – Franchising - June 19, 2019
- Setting Up Business in France – The Action Plan For Business Growth and Transformation Bill - May 17, 2019
- Setting Up Business in France – Foreign Tax Credit - May 17, 2019
- PACTE law - April 23, 2019
- French Disclosure: the key differences in civil trial evidence gathering The civil trial and interlocutory measures - April 14, 2019
- The French law regarding forced execution of a unilateral promise in contracts - March 18, 2019
- Posting of foreign employees in France : main legal requirements - October 23, 2018
- Trade secrets directive - September 30, 2018