In this period of crisis, can I collude with my competitors to avoid a price war and, more generally, limit competition so that the greatest number of us can survive?
The answer is negative, as “emergency cartels” remain prohibited. Including in times of crisis, competition law continues to be enforceable and enforced without exception. It prohibits operators, whatever their size, from agreeing to restrict competition, for example by exchanging their price list, by fixing sales prices by mutual agreement to avoid a price war or by sharing markets, calls for tenders or customers.
However the European Commission and the national competition authorities of the European States released that they understand the current situation may trigger the need for operators to cooperate in order to ensure the supply and fair distribution of scarce products to all consumers. Specifically, they stated that they will not actively intervene against necessary and temporary measures put in place in order to avoid a shortage of supply.
- War of courts at the top of the European Union: The ruling of the German Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe - May 12, 2020
- France to expand the scope of its foreign investment control mechanism - April 30, 2020
- #COVID-19 : French Competition Authority listens to professional associations - April 24, 2020
- #COVID-19 : What are the conditions of cooperation compliant with competition law according to the European Commission? - April 9, 2020
- #COVID-19 : Postponement of the payment of invoices for the supply of electricity and/or natural gas – Decree No. 2020-378 of 31 March 2020 - April 1, 2020
- #COVID-19 : Can I collude with my competitors to avoid a price war? - March 24, 2020
- Asian Competition Forum 2020 : Differences in regulatory approaches between the EU and Asia through the example of luxury goods - January 14, 2020
- Presentation of the Asian Competition Forum - December 10, 2018
- Draft Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU - November 20, 2018
- Jérémy Bernard speaker at the Annual Conference 2017 of the Asian Competition Forum - January 17, 2018